Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mythologies in chemistry

This semester I've been taking a chemistry class which to be honest I hate. I'm an English major and I'm only taking the class to fulfill my science requirement and convince my boyfriend I don't want to study science. It's a lot of memorization of facts I will never use beyond this school year.  Needless to say that I never thought I would find any connection between mythologies and chemistry. In my mind these two things are opposite. 

I was wrong. Myth really is the pre ident to every action
 
In chemistry there is an idea called entropy. Entropy is defined as the gradual movement towards disorder. Basically (if your un-sciency like me) if you drop a pot on the floor it will shatter and break in to a thousand pieces. Once it is broken some other force is going to have to be applied to it if it is going to go back to the shape of a pot. You would have to pick up the pieces, organize them, and then glue them back together. Which is a lot of work. If you throw all of the pieces in the air they are not magically going to become a pot again. You can make similar analogies using chemicals but this is easier to understand. 

The same thing happens in Ovid. The world generally falls towards disorder. If both the first and last chapter of Ovid the idea of a Golden Age is discussed. Living things lived together in harmony, there was no war, and nothing was forbidden in the Golden Age. Then something changed and the Silver age began. The world became less perfect, it became more disordered. Ovid follows the rule of entropy, or more accurately the idea of entropy comes from Ovid. 

My mythic detective skills must be improving. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment