Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Summation- Ends and Beginings

I'm sad this is ending. From the first moment Professor Sexson walked in to the class and asked if this was the anthropology class and (happy to find it wasn't) started talking to us about mythologies being the precedent to every action, I was hooked. I have learned so much from this class about not only myth but life.

I've had so many people tease me about being an English Major (though they say teaching it is a slight improvement) in the last year. To hear Proffessor Sexson speak and make an argument for the arts and speak as if they not only had value, but had more value than business or science, well... it made me feel like I had found somewhere I belong.

I want to teach English because I love the stories and everything they teach you. There is nothing like putting down a book and feeling like you can't possibly be the same person as when you picked it up. Professor Sexson said in class on day "Education is not information; it's transformation. The point is not to fill your heads with facts but to be changed in the twinkling of an eye." This has stuck with me from the moment he said it because thats the feeling I love; the transformation.

 Todays is the last day of class. I haven't posted nearly enough of my thoughts from this class online but oh well. Even though it won't be graded I want to add all my class notes on here at some point just to save them somewhere digital. Each time I go back through I notice something I had forgotten, much like how each time we read Ovid we find something we missed.

But back to endings. I keep searching for the perfect way to sum up everything we have talked about over the last semester in the course. I can't seem to find the words but I know at the same time this is ending something new is beginning. I've already signed up for the Honors Mythologies class in the Fall and can't wait to see where that takes me. As for this summer I only hope that I can hone my mythic detective skills a little more and just remember that even though I am sad to see this end something else is starting that might be even better. And if not... Well I'm sure it will transform and change in to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment